History at a Glance

2015 Partnered with Remain for their first Young Adults Convention 18+
2015
New Chairman: Richard Coombs
2015 New building at Diamond Valley Camp, replacing the Kitchen and Dining Room
2014/15 The Convention Lodge bathrooms were upgraded
2014 The kitchen in Master's Manor was redeveloped and upgraded
2013/14 The Small Hall was refurbished and upgraded
2010/12 Recreation Hall constructed
2011/12 Meeting Rooms added
2007/8 Connection to sewer
2006/7 Auditorium foyer built
2005/6 New Camp Kitchens
2005/6 Construction of Convention Avenue
2003 Auditorium was upgraded and extended
2000/2 Master plan developed
2000 En-Suite rooms added to Convention Lodge
2003 Property redevelopment begans resulting in concrete floor replacing long-remembered tan bark in auditorium and foyer added with new facilities.

2000
The Lodge was upgraded.
1999 First VCYC (Victorian Christian Youth Convention).
1998 First Melbourne Men’s Convention.
1997 New Chairman: David Price
1993 Peter and Margaret Rowse began hosting the popular Festival Week at The Lodge for over 50’s.
1991 New Chairman: Robert Freeman
1987 New Chairman: John Williams
1987 First lady appointed to Convention Council, Mrs June Pearce (later missionary in Tanzania).
1983 Ash Wednesday fires destroyed the Campaigners for Christ and CMS campsites.
1980 Over 3000 attended Easter Convention to hear Helen Roseveare.
1977 New Chairman: Ridley Kitchen
1976 Dr J Edwin Orr’s invitation concluding the Easter Sunday night evangelistic meeting drew such a large crowd the Small Hall was opened to accommodate all who responded for counselling.
1972 Miss Heather Muffett begans her 21 years of service running the convention crèche.
1968 New Chairman: Leonard Buck.
1961 Over 3000 attended at Easter to hear Gladys Aylward.
1957 The Auditorium was enlarged to seat 2000. Corrie ten Boom addressed a crowd of over 3000 at Easter Convention.
1955 New Chairman: A.E. Coombe.
1954 The “Small Hall” was built for children’s meetings, run by CSSM.
1952 First Easter Convention.
1950 First Belgrave Heights Convention.
1950 The Auditorium at Upwey was dismantled and enlarged and re-erected at Belgrave Heights.
1947 The old order changed. New Chairman J. Oswald Sanders replaces Dr J.J. Kitchen and new Secretary Arthur Pocklington replaced H.P. Smith.
1946 The 30 acre site was purchased at Belgrave Heights.
1940 It was decided that the missionary fund will be distributed to a broad range of Missionary Societies, rather than support individual Convention Missionaries.
1930 The Convention moved to its new 5 acre property in Upwey (now the site of Upwey High School).
1928 The Convention sent missionary Jessie Taffs to Egypt.
1927 Howard Kitchen, the first missionary fully supported by the Convention, went to China.
1926 New Chairman: J.J. Kitchen
1922 The Upwey Convention Council was formed with J.M. Griffiths as Chairman. The first land was acquired at Upwey.
1918 The first Convention was held in Upwey (in the Upwey Union Church, later in a marquee behind the church).